Looking back at 2018< Back to Blog
As we get close to the end of another year, we can’t believe how much has been going on in Sheriff’s world!
The year has (as always) come with a few challenges – not least of which has been maintaining and managing the continued growth of the company within an industry that’s faced issues around skills shortages and a good deal of economic uncertainty.
But, despite this, Sheriff has followed through on its ambitious growth strategy and, thanks to the commitment of all our managers, foremen, site operatives and office team, has generally thrived.
Here’s some of 2018’s highlights:
- Our brickwork and roofing divisions could be seen across our operating region at 16 different sites (including in Erith, Watford, High Wycombe, Milton Keynes, Greenwich, Tring and many others).
- We began working on a partnership development project to convert/ extend former office space to flats in Napier Road, Luton.
- We provided work and training opportunities on average to around 60 people per month
- Over the course of the last 12 months we’re proud to have had no reported issues around health and safety with zero accidents on site.
- We bought The Round Green Tavern in Luton and, after several months of planning negotiations, have just begun on a project to covert the property into ten new high-quality apartments plus a commercial unit on the ground floor. Keep watch for news of how this development progresses in 2019!
- To reflect our transition from a small family business to the growing, professional construction company we’ve become today, we decided to change our name from Sheriff Builders to Sheriff Construction.
- Sheriff successfully renewed all our professional accreditations, including CHAS, SMAS, Constructionline and Builder’s Profile.
- We were proud to share in our L&Q colleague’s success when the Erith site picked up a Quality Award in the NHBC Pride in the Job Awards.
- During the summer, we took stock of all our roofing contracts and found that Sheriff has now completed approximately 53,000 square metres of flat-roofing installations – enough to cover about 7 ½ professional football pitches. We couldn’t even hazard a guess at how many bricks we’ve laid!
- Through our blog, we supported World Environment Day, World Mental Health Day and International Women’s Day. We also gave you stories covering everything from the latest science/tech news to matters affecting health, safety and wellbeing.
- Sheriff sponsored the ‘Vixens’, an under 10’s girls football team in Leighton Buzzard, enabling them to enjoy a brand-new kit to play in.
With all of this offering just a flavour of our year, it’s safe to say that 2018 has truly been one hell of a ride!
Once again, we’d like to stress that none of this could have been achieved were it not for the dedication and hard work put in by all of Sheriff’s team members and the support of others who’ve helped us continue our journey.
Thank you to all!