What’s in Santa’s sack part II< Back to Blog
(This one’s for the kids!)
Having focused on gifts for the adults working in construction last week, we thought we’d help out with some ideas for the kids too. And the best news is there’s a type of toy out there that, due to the sheer volume of them on the shelves, will never sell out and will always be on the wish list. Of course, we’re talking about construction toys!
People have been buying their kids construction related toys for generations and it’s not hard to see why. They’re great for developing motor skills, they fuel the imagination, they can help improve levels of concentration but more than anything they’re great fun to play with!
So, here’s a few of the recommended options that we’ve spotted out there:
Often advertised as suitable for 4–99-year-olds, where else could we start but with Lego.
For those just beginning their Lego journey, you could go for a bumper starter kit like the Lego Classic XXL which has 1500 pieces. Hours of fun, but be warned, this kit comes with a bumper price that rises above the £100 mark! Slightly better for the budget is a 790-piece option that costs around £45.
For the more experienced Lego fan (aged 8+), Lego have constantly pushed out new and more intricate sets. There’s the Star Wars Poe’s X-Wing Fighter Building Kit (as featured in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens) with 717 pieces at around £55 or what about the Lego Friends Amusement Park Roller Coaster Building Kit. Offering 1124 pieces, accessories and all the tools you need to build a 71cm roller coaster track, this is currently priced around £70.
Proving Lego isn’t the only building toy in town and becoming an increasingly popular choice is K’nex. A basic set, retailing at around £30, includes 618 pieces which enable young minds to build a wide variety of creations.
Older kids might prefer something a little more challenging like the K’nex Thrill Rides Web Weaver Roller Coaster.Priced around £70, this set includes 429 pieces that connect to become a roller coaster (with a glow in the dark track) and an air-powered car too.
It may have been around for decades, but Meccano has made a bit of a comeback in recent years and has cleverly adapted to modern times. Now, many of their models have a much more interactive element than those of the past. Take the Meccano Meccasaur for example. Once built, this programmable T-Rex robot walks, roars and responds to your kids’ yes/no questions. Suitable for age 10+, there’s a bit of a hefty price tag of just under £100. For about half of that price, you can get a less complicated model from the Meccano Micronoid collection.
BEST OF THE REST
As we said at the beginning of this article, there are really a huge amount of construction related toys out there. If we were to look at every example, this would be a very long read! So, to keep things short, here’s five more ideas, all of which come under £50.
- Stickle Bricks Big Red Bucket (Age 18 months +, priced around £20) – A starter set of 85 stickle bricks in various shapes and colours. A great option to encourage creativity in pre-schoolers.
- Ravensburger VW T1 Campervan 3D puzzle (Age 10+, priced just over £20) – A 162-piece jigsaw that creates a 3D model of a camper van complete with surfboard. Who said jigsaws weren’t cool!
- Magformers My First Buggy Car Set (Age 3+, priced around £20) – This set of brightly coloured magnetic pieces connect to create a vehicle. Kids can either follow the 16 suggested ideas included or invent something of their own.
- Thames & Kosmos Geckobot Wall Climbing Robot (8+, priced around £40) – With this toy, you can build 7 different robots that can climb up smooth surfaces – what’s not to like!
- VEX Robotics by HEXBUG Robotic Arm (Age 8+, priced around £40)A 350-piece kit that makes a robotic arm with a grabber hand and rotating base. As a 4-6-hour build, be sure to gift this one to the child with patience!
With just under 3 weeks to go to the big day, we hope our little shopping guide has been useful. Meanwhile, forget about toys – it’s back to the tools for our team!
* Sheriff Builders Ltd cannot recommend or endorse any specific products or retailers featured in this article. Prices mentioned were accurate at the time of writing.