With the end of the year approaching, Sheriff’s team came together on Saturday night to eat, drink, dance and generally ‘be merry’ at our Christmas party.
As well as this being the moment when everyone starts enjoying the festivities, it’s always a time when we, at Sheriff Construction, like to look back and review what kind of year we’ve had. Read this week’s blog for a few of 2023’s highlights.
Challenges, triumphs and community impact
In many ways, 2023 has been another year in which we’ve faced some challenging times, not least of which has been grappling with the rising costs in construction and the impact of that on both ourselves, our clients and our supply chain. However, there have also been many triumphant highlights so here’s what we’ve picked out:
- In 2023, Sheriff Construction celebrated its 18th year in business. Realising how much we’ve grown from a small family business to an organisation that’s now counted as a regional leader in the fields of both brickwork and roofing and regularly employs over 100 subcontractors was something to be proud of.
- We had a major boost when we picked up our largest contract to date, a £6.1m, 2-year deal in which our team is supporting a major UK housebuilder at a 5-acre regeneration site in Woolwich, London. The contract was among the first to be secured since our company restructured, meaning the job is managed through our sister company, Sheriff Brickworks.
- We’re equally proud of the work our brickwork and roofing teams have undertaken at multiple different sites across London and the Home Counties, maintaining good relationships with long-term clients like Fairview and building closer links with clients who are newer for us like NU Living. Whether its helping to create an apartment complex in Epping or key worker accommodation at a hospital in Oxford, our team have delivered quality workmanship across the board.
- Limon Homes, our property development company, completed two more projects in Luton, creating new homes for the local community at North Street and Collingdon Street (a mix of properties for the sale and rental markets).
- At the office, we’ve strengthened our team again, bringing in an Operations Director who is supporting us through the next stage of growth at the company and increasing capacity in our QS/Estimating and administration teams. We also welcomed our first Apprentice QS who you’ll soon be able to read more about in a forthcoming blog. Welcome to all who have joined us this year.
- Sheriff successfully renewed all our professional accreditations, e.g. CHAS, SMAS and Gold membership of Constructionline and was a finalist in two categories at this year’s National Building and Construction Awards.
- As part of our ongoing drive to build social value into our work, this year we continued to support grassroots football by sponsoring the Under 16s girls team at Leighton Woodside; helped to spruce up the roof and façade of the Luton Central Seventh-day Adventist Church (a neighbour to one of our development projects); and raised £3177 for MacMillan Cancer Support at our first charity summer barbecue.
- Being part of the Sheriff team might often be focused on delivering the schemes of work our clients expect but it’s not been all work and no play. Alongside the summer barbecue and Christmas party, this year, we’ve had an office team spa day, a motorsports taster day and who could ever forget that amazing trip for twelve of our Directors, Managers and Foremen to Dubai back in March!
- We’ve continued to use our website and weekly blog to share the latest news from our company alongside other topics of interest to our sector, for instance around health and safety, innovations, educational opportunities, government policy, environmental issues and mental health. Doing this has raised our profile on social media, taking our LinkedIn followers to over 1000 people.
Managing Director, Ekrem Mahmutaj commented:
“Over the past year, there have of course been challenges at Sheriff Construction, externally around the rising costs across the sector and internally as we’ve had to settle into our newly restructured business (with our brickwork and roofing divisions now more defined into separate companies).
“Despite those challenges, it’s really been an amazing year for us. We’ve grown our team, won our largest ever contract, secured a significant amount of work for the years ahead, supported our community and had some fun times too.
“I’d like to express my gratitude to everyone that has supported Sheriff over the past twelve months – our dedicated site and office teams, the contractors who’ve out their faith in us, the various professionals we work with and of course our suppliers who’ve ensured we have the materials we need to get the job done. The resilience I see in everyone around us is what has helped our company continue to succeed. Thank you to all.”
Feature image: Sheriff Construction