New rules that came into play this week mean that developers in England now have to deliver 10% Biodiversity Net Gain when building new housing, industrial or commercial developments.
This makes England the first country in the world to make Biodiversity Net Gain a legal requirement so take a look at this week’s blog to find out more about what this means and how it will be implemented.
The British Safety Industry Federation (BSIF) is warning anyone whose job involved buying personal protective equipment (PPE) and safety products to be vigilant after their latest tests on some key products highlight the widespread availability of substandard and dangerous items.
Between December 2022 and December 2023, the federation examined 123 non-BSIF-registered products, assessing them for performance, adequacy and compliance with standards. Shockingly, only 21% products proved fully compliant, leaving 79% falling short. Worryingly, many of these substandard products are still available and in use. Find out more, including how to avoid buying such products, in this week’s blog.
The roar and clatter of bulldozers and excavators have been a long-running soundtrack to construction sites across the world but it seems like something a bit quieter might be on the horizon here in the UK.
The UK government recently published a ‘call for evidence’ on decarbonising non-road mobile machinery (NRMM), which includes construction equipment, hinting at a potential shift away from the diesel-powered giants towards cleaner alternatives. Read this week’s blog to find out more.
While construction has long been known for its focus on hard work and technical expertise, research suggests that one of the key strengths of our industry comes from it having embraced a broader range of thinking styles and experiences beyond the ‘typical’.
A new study by the Association for Project Management (APM) has revealed that almost half (46%) of construction professionals identify as neurodivergent, compared to a cross-sector average of 31%. Read on to find out more about what this means and the potential benefits this offers for our industry.
With crimes like theft and trespass already costing the construction industry a staggering £800 million per year, it now seems that things are getting worse.
According to a survey carried out by site security firm, BauWatch, 60% of construction professionals in the UK have seen crime on energy, infrastructure and commercial construction projects worsen over the past year. Read this week’s blog for more of the survey results and some ideas about how to mitigate the risks by maintaining good security.
Back in November last year, we reported on a free masterclass for bricklayers that was being offered by the Home Builders Federation (HBF) and how an equivalent opportunity would soon be made available for roofers.
This month, the HBF have released that opportunity so, if improving your roofing skills is on your ‘to do’ list, read on.
As the world grapples with challenges like climate change and economic uncertainty, the construction industry is adapting and innovating at an unprecedented pace, so for this week’s blog, we’re asking what’s in store for 2024?
From technological advancements to an increased focus on the adoption of sustainable materials and practices, here are just three thought-provoking trends to watch in the coming year.
Every now and then, we like to use our blog to shine the spotlight on a member of our team, explaining what their role is at Sheriff Construction and also revealing a little bit about their homelife and personality.
For the sixth feature in this blog series, we’ve been talking to Lamanda Mahmutaj who is our first ever Apprentice Quantity Surveyor, currently studying at London South Bank University alongside her role at Sheriff. Read on to find out more of her story.
After a few chilly early mornings and, as we’re likely heading into the coldest months of the year, it’s time once again for the construction industry to brace itself against the full impact of winter.
Working outdoors in rain, snow, ice, fog or wind can be harsh, however there are practical solutions which can help ensure such work is carried out productively and that every site worker stays safe and healthy. Take just a few minutes out of your day to read this week’s blog, where we’re sharing three strategies for weatherproofing the construction site.